Who is my Academic Lead and how do I meet them?

At Postgraduate level, your Academic Lead is normally also your Programme Director.

Programme Director’s/Academic Leads will be officially assigned during Welcome Week (Monday 11 – Friday 15 September) and after this time you will be able to view them within your Euclid record.

You will meet with your Programme Director during your Programme Welcome Talk Event during Welcome Week and you can ask them any questions during that time.

Where can I find my personalised timetable?

Your academic timetable is referred to as your personalised teaching and examinations timetable.

You can view full information regarding your personalised timetable here

Your personalised teaching timetable can be accessed through your Office365 account, which you can add to your phone, computer or other devices.

Alternatively, students can also view their timetables via the Web Timetables application. In MyEd, ‘Timetables’ can be found in the ‘Studies’ tab, under ‘My Course’ column (on the left hand side).

Login into My Ed

My course is being ‘double-streamed’. What does that mean?

Popular courses sometimes run twice – so each weekly session occurs twice: Class A and Class B. In Edinburgh Law School, this generally referred to as ‘double-streaming’. You are only required to attend one class.

You will be automatically assigned to a stream – we expect that you would be able to see your stream within your personalised timetable by Friday 15th September 2023. Allocation is handled by the timetable team so if your allocated stream does not work for your personalised timetable, you can complete a Group Change Request Form. This will go directly to timetabling and changes cannot be granted by the PG Office.

What is ‘auditing’? Can I audit a course?

Auditing allows students to attend additional courses over and above those comprising their degree. Auditing a course requires that you do the necessary reading and participate fully in class discussions. You will not, however, complete the final assessment required for the course and will not receive any formal academic credit for attending it. Auditing courses is not guaranteed as it is subject to spaces being available on the courses.

You can only request to audit a course by completing the Audit Application Form – requests are not accepted via email. This will be made available to you on Monday 18th September 2023.

Please note: auditing requests will not be actioned until Monday 25th September 2023. (this is because students are offered the opportunity to change courses that they are taking for credit throughout week 1 – so we cannot confirm available audit places until week 2).

Students can only audit a maximum of one course per semester. Because of the extra workload of auditing a class, students should think carefully about requesting this and discuss this with their Programme Director.

Ability to audit a course is at the discretion of the Course Organiser – the PG Office will communicate your application requests with Course Organisers on your behalf so you do not need to contact them directly.

I have a timetable clash. What should I do?

Please email the Postgraduate Office via law.pg@ed.ac.uk to inform us of your clash and to ask for guidance.

Please note: If two courses are running at the same time, it may only be possible to take one of these courses. Should this be the case, you will be asked to select another course.

How can I change my courses?

You will have been asked to complete a course selection form in August 2023. If you no longer wish to stick with your chosen courses, you can complete the Course Change Request Form. This will be made available to you from Monday 18th September 2023 and will close at 12 noon on Friday 22nd September 2023.

Course changes will be actioned by the end of the day on Friday 22nd September 2023.

How can I get an Official Letter, e.g. Bank Letter or Certificate of Matriculation?

The University’s Student Administration team are able to provide current students with the following official documents:

  • Academic Transcript
  • Bank Introduction Letter (non-UK students only)
  • Council Tax Exemption Letter
  • Certificate of Matriculation (Proof of Student Status)

Students can request these documents here

How do I get my student card?

You are required to have an up-to-date University student card that you should carry with you at all times and you must apply for your University card in advance of starting. You can find detailed information on receiving your card at the Information Services web page:

Find out more here

How do I pay my fees?

Fee payment is made to the University Finance Office.

Without paying your tuition fees, you will be cancelled off the course you have applied to study and you will be unable to access any of the University’s services and/or facilities. You need to arrange payment of your tuition fees, whether self-funded or through a sponsor, grant or loan. You can find information on how to pay your tuition fees here:

Paying your tuition fees

If you require further support, you can contact the Fees and Student Support Team for guidance:

Contact the Fees and Student Support Team

How do I complete International Check-In?

How you complete International Check-in will depend on the type of immigration permission you have.You can find detailed information at the Student Immigration Website, as well as the link to book your International Check-In appointment.

International Check-In Information

How can I speak to someone about University Accommodation?

The University Accommodation team can provide all the information you will need:

Contact the Accommodation Team here

Have we answered your query?

If not, we highly recommend that you access the ‘New Students’ pages on the University of Edinburgh website. These are filled with useful information and are designed to help you.

New Students