Legal Summer Placement with The General Teaching Council for Scotland
Two-month fixed term contract – remote working
Salary – £1,521 per month (£3,042 in total). Salaries are paid monthly on the 25th of the month.
About GTC Scotland
GTC Scotland is a statutory regulatory body and a registered charity. It is governed by the Public Services Reform (General Teaching Council for Scotland) Order 2011 (the Order). GTC Scotland’s statutory role includes the registration and regulation of teachers in Scotland.
GTC Scotland has a small legal team, which forms part of the wider Regulation and Legal Services team. The team includes the Director of Regulation and Legal Services, Legal Adviser and Information Compliance Officer. The wider team includes three Regulation Solicitors and six Regulation Officers.
The role of the legal team is to ensure GTC Scotland acts within the bounds of its statutory functions, ensures compliance with all other legislative requirements (for instance in relation to data protection, freedom of information and information management), to manage litigation and to provide cross organisational legal advice and support.
About the Legal Summer Placement
GTC Scotland is seeking to appoint a student currently studying Scots Law to support the functions of the GTC Scotland legal team, as well as to provide the successful candidate with valuable skills gained from working within its busy in-house legal team.
The successful candidate will work directly with the GTC Scotland Legal Adviser. They would support the Legal Adviser in providing advice to various areas of the organisation, attending meetings with external legal advisers and/or internal clients, preparing papers for GTC Scotland’s committees and/or Council, undertaking legal and other research and assisting with the development of key projects, as well as assisting and supporting the Information Compliance Officer and wider Regulation team as required.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience within a small legal team and develop key skills essential for a future legal career.
The role would be by way of remote working, as all GTC Scotland employees currently work from home in line with Covid-19 restrictions. Depending on easing of Covid-19 restrictions the role may be fulfilled both remotely and in the GTCS Edinburgh office or entirely by remote working.
Key roles and responsibilities
GTC Scotland is looking for an enthusiastic Scots law student who is keen to get involved in the day to day work of the GTC Scotland legal team and taking on independent research and project work to assist and enhance the development of the team’s work.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication and research skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail; and
- Ability to look for solutions, think strategically and bring new ideas on how to best develop process, policy and practices at GTC Scotland.
Your key roles and responsibilities will be to:
- Assist the GTC Scotland Legal Adviser in various legal matters arising;
- Assist the GTC Scotland Information Compliance Officer with Freedom of Information, Data Protection and Information Management tasks;
- Take on research and development tasks to assist GTC Scotland’s legal team, as well as the wider organisation, in developing policy, practice and learning within the organisation;
- Develop a working knowledge of GTC Scotland’s legislative framework;
- Develop a working knowledge of GTC Scotland’s registration and regulation framework.
To apply, please submit your CV together with a covering letter setting out your suitability for the role and why you wish to secure the summer placement with GTC Scotland. Please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12 noon 1 June 2021.